Turkey – Gobble It Up!
Today’s turkey is a high-protein, low-fat choice – packing more protein and less total fat per portion than chicken, beef or pork. It’s also low in cholesterol.
Plus it’s easier to prepare than ever, and with the variety of turkey products available, turkey will easily fit into your busy lifestyle and makes it easy to prepare meals quickly and inexpensively. Plus you can switch up your meal – think lasagna, tacos, spaghetti and many more – with a similar turkey product for just about any recipe that calls for chicken, pork or beef.
2015 Turkey Taste-Off Recipes
Minnesota Turkey held a “Turkey Taste-Off” at its annual summer conference in June and the following recipes were part of the event. Votes were tabulated and the top three winning recipes are listed below, along with the other recipes that were served. All recipes were made with JENNIE-O® products.
- Cheddar Mashed Potatoes & Turkey Bacon
- Turkey Tacos with Lime Cream Yogurt
- Sriracha Turkey Burger Sliders
Other recipes in the Taste-Off included:
Classic Turkey Pot Pie
View Directions & Ingredients (Servings: 6)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or ground white pepper
- 2 pounds JENNIE-O® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, thick sliced and diced, from the deli
- ¾ cup whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or chives
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated double pie crust
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place flour and pepper in food storage bag. Add cubed turkey breast; shake to coat.
- Add turkey to skillet; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream; mix well.
- Add mixed vegetables; simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley.
- Place pie crust in 9-inch pie plate. Add turkey mixture, cover with pie crust, folding crust edge under to seal.
- Cut 4 slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Brush egg lightly over pastry.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.
Calories 390, Fat 22g, Protein 23g, Cholesterol 85mg, Carbohydrates 27g, Sodium 960mg, Fiber 3g, Saturated Fat 11g, Sugars 3g
Minneapolis Lucy Turkey Burger
View Directions & Ingredients (Servings: 4)
- 1 (20-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 4 burger buns, split and toasted
- 4 slices JENNIE-O® turkey bacon, cooked according to package directions
- Barbeque sauce, if desired
- Prepare grill.
- Shape ground turkey into 8 equal balls.
- Press each ball to form patty large enough to encase cheese slice. Place cheese slice on 4 patties. Top with another patty and press edges together to seal.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes per side or until turkey is well done, 165°F. as measured by meat thermometer.
- In large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or until browned.
- In large skillet, heat remaining oil. Cook onions 10 minutes or until softened and browned.
- Place lettuce on bottom half of buns. Top with patties, mushrooms, onions and bacon (cooked to package directions). Drizzle with barbeque sauce, if desired. Cover with bun tops.
Calories 430, Fat 21g, Protein 37g, Cholesterol 130mg, Carbohydrates 22g, Sodium 690mg, Fiber 3g, Saturated Fat 7g, Sugars 4g