For immediate release
Lara Durben, Minnesota Turkey Growers Association
Ph: 763/682-2171 (office), 612/554-0920 (mobile)
- Minnesota Turkey Growers Association (MTGA) has been serving up turkey at the Minnesota State Fair for 61 years (since 1958). Our state fair concession stand, Turkey To Go, is known for its signature Giant Juicy Turkey Sandwich and Slow-Roasted Turkey Drumsticks.
- This year, MTGA celebrates 80 years of existence and released a special 80th Anniversary video series highlighting several of our multi-generational farm families to commemorate the milestone – available on our website, MinnesotaTurkey.com and YouTube Channel. MTGA thanks the Minnesota Soybean Research and Promotion Council for their assistance with the project.
- (Throwback) Food offerings to fairgoers have changed over the years but a few highlights include: roast turkey sandwiches with gravy (1950s and 1960s), extremely popular turkey tenderloin-on-a-stick (1970s and 1980s), turkey nuggets (1990s) and in 1999, the Great Big Turkey Sandwich was introduced and remains our focus and fan favorite today!
- Our menu:
Giant Juicy Turkey Sandwich ($8.00)
Half Pound Giant Juicy Turkey Sandwich ($9.75)
Slow-Roasted Turkey Drumstick (Original, Sweet Glazed & Buffalo – $9.75)
Turkey by the Pound – Frozen Turkey To Go product that you can take home with you! ($16.75 per pound)
Tasty Turkey Sunrise Sandwich – Our signature Turkey To Go product, an egg, and slice of American cheese on a bun ($8.00)
Toppings: bleu cheese & buffalo sauce; brie & cranberry sauce; crispy chopped bacon & sweet glaze ($2.50)
Beverages: Lemonade w/Raspberries ($3.75), Pop ($2.75), Water ($2.75)
- A portion of every sale goes to Hunger Solutions Minnesota. Since 2008, TTG has donated nearly $80,550.
- Turkey To Go is located next to the All-You-Can-Drink Milk Stand (1256 Clough Street).
- Turkey To Go was named the People’s Choice Award for “Best Food or Beverage” at the 2012 Minnesota State Fair!
- Turkey to Go by the numbers:
- We expect to cook approximately 40,000 pounds of turkey at Turkey To Go this year.
- From 2011-2018, Turkey To Go sold a total of 357,269 Giant Juicy Turkey sandwiches and 90,588 Slow-Roasted Turkey Drumsticks!
9. Our Giant Juicy Turkey Sandwich (eaten without the bun) and Jumbo Turkey Drumstick are gluten-free.
- Don’t forget about our breakfast sandwich, which debuted in 2015 – the “Tasty Turkey Sunrise Sandwich” that includes our famous Turkey To Go pulled turkey, an egg, & slice of American cheese on a bun.
- Turkey To Go also has locations at Target Field. Up-to-date location information can be found at www.twitter.com/turkeytogo or visit www.turkeytogo.com for details.
Target Field – Turkey To Go is behind home plate between sections 112 and 113; in section 133; and in section 318
- Turkeys raised in the U.S. are free of added hormones and steroids. Added hormones and steroids in poultry have been illegal since the 1950s and aren’t needed anyway. Genetics and nutrition make all the difference!
- Minnesota is ranked #1 for turkey production, processing, and hatching in the U.S. and is home to 450 turkey farmers who raise approximately 42 million turkeys annually on 600 farms. Minnesota has the most family- owned turkey farms of any state in the U.S. and many of our producers are 4th, 5th, and 6th generation farmers.
- Turkey is a versatile protein that plays well with various flavor profiles and takes on whatever seasonings or marinades it’s cooked with.
- MTGA was formed in 1939 as a nonprofit trade association dedicated to fostering a successful turkey industry. Today MTGA and its sister organization, Minnesota Turkey Research Promotion Council work on behalf of Minnesota’s turkey industry in the areas of research, promotion, public relations, issues management, education and government affairs.
- Nutritionally, turkey has more protein than chicken or beef – plus fewer calories with zero trans- and saturated fat.
- MTGA’s website – www.minnesotaturkey.com – features links to turkey recipes for consumers and the foodservice industry. We also have recipes at our State Fair booth in the Dairy Building.
- Producing a quality, nutritious and safe product is the top priority for turkey farmers as well as turkey processing companies, which follow USDA guidelines for food safety. Consumers, too, need to do their part to ensure that turkey is handled properly in the kitchen and cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F., as measured by a food thermometer.
- Find us on the Web at TurkeyToGo.com or MinnesotaTurkey.com and on social media:
Facebook: facebook.com/TurkeyToGo and facebook.com/MinnesotaTurkey
Twitter: @TurkeyToGo and @MinnesotaTurkey
Instagram: @TurkeyToGo and @MinnesotaTurkey