MTGA Announces Ranelius Scholarship Recipients
For immediate release
Contact: Lara Durben
Phone: (763) 682-2171
(Buffalo, MN ) … The Minnesota Turkey Growers Association (MTGA) announced five 2014 Ranelius Scholarship awards for $1,000 each to worthy students at its annual meeting on March 19 in Saint Paul, Minn.
This is a competitive award given to a current student(s) with an interest in poultry and agriculture. The recipients are as follows:
Robert Orsten, Jr. Willmar MN
- Robert is the son of MTGA board member Robert Orsten.
- He will graduate from high school this spring
- Robert will enroll at Bethel University and plans to return to the family farm
Alaine Buysse, Ghent, MN
- Alaine is a senior at Minneota High School
- She has been active in working with poultry on their farm
- Alaine plans to attend South Dakota State University this fall majoring in Animal Science with plans to continue onto vet school.
Michaela Olson, Janesville, MN
- Michaela grew up on a small hobby farm which included laying hens, broilers, turkeys, ducks, and guinea fowl.
- She is a Freshman at the University of Minnesota majoring in Animal Science-Pre – Vet and is active in the Gopher Poultry Science Club, Block and Bridle, Pre-Vet Club, and St. Paul’s Catholic Outreach.
Eleni Solberg, Stewartville, MN
- Eleni is a senior at Stewartville High School
- She is involved in FFA and 4-H and served as MN’s Poultry Princess making appearances throughout the state
- Eleni plans to attend the University of Arkansas to study poultry science, intern with a poultry company and then get a job back in Minnesota
Lisa Busack, Belview, MN
- Lisa is a junior at the University of Minnesota
- She currently serves as the National Vice President of the Postsecondary Agricultural Student Organization
- She plans to teach agriculture at the high school or community college level
“On behalf of MTGA, I congratulate all these young people and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors, as they work toward their specific career goals in agriculture,” said MTGA Executive Director Steve Olson.
For more information on the MTGA or its Ranelius Scholarship program, please visit www.minnesotaturkey.com.
MTGA, founded in 1939 and located in Buffalo, MN, is a nonprofit association dedicated to fostering a successful Minnesota turkey industry and its ability to make positive contributions to consumers, the economy, the environment and its members. Minnesota is currently ranked #1 for turkey production in the U.S. with its 250 turkey farmers raising approximately 46 million turkeys in 2013. Minnesota has the most independent turkey farmers of any state in the U.S. For further details, visit , www.minnesotaturkey.com, find us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/MinnesotaTurkey) and follow us on Twitter (@MinnesotaTurkey)