For immediate release
Vanessa Tait, Group Leaf LLC Lara Durben, Minnesota Turkey Growers Association
Ph: 651/308-8027 Ph: 763/682-2171 (office) or 612/554-0920 (cell)
1. The Minnesota Turkey Growers Association has been serving up turkey at the Minnesota State Fair for 52 years (since 1958). Our State Fair concession stand, Turkey To Go, is known for its signature Giant Juicy Turkey Sandwich and Slow-Roasted Turkey Drumsticks.
2. We expect to cook over 3,000 turkeys at Turkey To Go this year.
3. Turkey To Go concession has its own Facebook page – www.facebook.com/turkeytogo.
4. Turkey To Go opened a mobile food cart in downtown Minneapolis on August 3, 2010. On most days, fans of Turkey To Go can find the mobile cart at South 8th Street and Nicollet Mall. During Minnesota Twins home games, the cart will be set up at South 6th Street and Hennepin Avenue. Up-to-date location information can be found at www.twitter.com/turkeytogo.
5. Turkeys raised in U.S. are free of added hormones and steroids. In fact, there are no hormones or steroids approved for use in turkey production in the U.S.
6. Turkey has more protein than chicken or beef – plus fewer calories and zero saturated fat.
7. Minnesota is ranked #1 for turkey production, processing, and hatching in the U.S. and is home to 250 turkey farmers who raise approximately 45 million turkeys annually on 600 farms. Minnesota has the most family-owned turkey farms of any state in the U.S. and many our turkey producers are 3rd, 4th and 5th generation farmers.
8. Formed in 1939, the Minnesota Turkey Growers Association (MTGA), is a nonprofit trade association dedicated to fostering a successful turkey industry. Today the MTGA and its sister organization, the Minnesota Turkey Research Promotion Council, work on behalf of Minnesota’s turkey industry in the areas of research, promotion, public relations, issues management, education and government affairs.
9. The MTGA’s Web site – www.minnesotaturkey.com – features links to more than 1,700 turkey recipes for consumers and the foodservice industry. We also have recipes at our State Fair booth in the Dairy Building.
– 30 –